Subject: Re: bug#58199: 29.0.50; Odd "git pull" output

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 15:37:03 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Those ^M characters look ugly.  Should the filter process here do
>> something about those?  Or are they part of some ANSI control character
>> sequence that's not parsed correctly, perhaps?
>
> No ANSI control sequences: that's Git overwriting its own output with
> later output, for aesthetic reasons.  We should convert those ^M
> characters to newline, I think.

Right.

Hm...  looking at the VC code, I see that vc-do-command sets a filter
`vc-process-filter' that's trivial -- I had expected that there would be
some mangling of the output already in there somewhere...

Oh, OK, I see that the backends do stuff like

        (add-function :around (process-filter proc)
                      #'vc-cvs-annotate-process-filter)

so I guess the fix here would be to make vc-git-pull do something
similar.

I'll give it a go.