Subject: Re: Trivial update to ediprolog

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 12:51:36 -0400

Hi Markus,

> Thank you! Please do keep these changes in the ELPA version of the file,
> since they are specific to ELPA.

I don't see why you think they are specific to GNU ELPA.

E.g. the `Version:` header is a convention followed by most packages
nowadays and used by various tools, whereas your `ediprolog-version`
variable is not used even by your code (or doc).

> The git repository of ediprolog provides the master copy of
> ediprolog.el, and I will keep it as it is.

So you do not want to add a `Version:` line and you do not want to
change the copyright line to say that it is owned by the FSF?

Could you explain why?

The `git merge` dance I'm asking you to do is expected to be a one-time
occurrence, not something that you'll need to do for every release.

[ BTW, you've signed the copyright paperwork which transferred the
  copyright to the FSF, so you technically do not own the copyright to
  that file any more, so your upstream code's copyright line is
  incorrect.  ]

> In a previous mail in this thread, I have provided a patchset relative
> to the current ELPA version of ediprolog.el that incorporates all latest
> developments from the master version which I provide on the ediprolog
> page and also on github. If possible, please use the patchset to update
> the ELPA version, and make any ELPA-specific adjustments as necessary.

There are enough packages in (Non)GNU ELPA that we try to avoid such
manual work.  Instead changes are automatically pulled from upstream
repositories and new packages are released without further human
intervention.  More specifically the only human intervention needed to
cause a new release is the upstream maintainer's modification of the
`Version:` line.

        Stefan