Subject: bug#58193: 29.0.50; Screen flickers on with-locale-environment

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 10:33:07 +0300

> From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 09:23:12 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>  > Maybe we should leave this macro as-is because of the legacy and work towards something in the
>  line of the
>  > cl-setlocale function in Common LISP.
> 
>  Common Lisp is just a programming language, it is not a display
>  editor.  In Emacs, certain operations that affect the display should
>  be immediately reflected on display.
> 
> So, one implication of my question is whether all operations that need a specific locale to be set need the
> display redrawn... 

If all you want is to have time displayed per a certain locale's
conventions, maybe it's enough to set system-time-locale?  Did you try
that?  set-locale-environment (which is what with-locale-environment
uses) does much more than just adjusts the locale's time format.