Subject: bug#58193: 29.0.50; Screen flickers on with-locale-environment

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 08:10:57 +0200

Hmmm.... that is not what I understand from 3.6 in the Introduction to
Emacs Lisp Programming.
If you read the section, it talks about 'local variables'.
Depending on you programming background, local may be different from
local...
I have always understood local as variable that has a meaning within a
context and if I happen to use the name of a global variable that is used
in the system, then bad luck. It would be nice to say that when you put a
variable like system-time-locale in a let, the global variable's value is
'pushed' and will be recovered once you leave the let-binding. Just to make
sure there is no misunderstanding.

I'll try to see how to tackle this in the elisp Introduction and will
propose a patch.

Anyhow, better late than never :-) that's what I like, always learning
something new.

Best, /PA

On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 at 19:31, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 18:47:45 +0200
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> >
> > BTW am I missing something .. would your let just change the value of
> system-time-locale in the body of the
> > let and then restore it to its original value?
>
> Yes, that's the general feature of let-binding.
>

-- 
Fragen sind nicht da um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet