Subject: 29.0.50; mouse-set-point region flicker with highlight-nonselected-windows=t and same buffer in two windows

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 19:38:28 +0200

emacs -q:

1. (setq highlight-nonselected-windows t)
2. 'C-x 2'
3. Click with mouse-1 somewhere to move point

Notice that for the duration mouse-1 being held down for the click,
region highlighting appears in the non-selected window. Usually the
click is short so the region only appears for a short time, which can be
perceived as a somewhat annoying flicker.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-09-29 built on miha-pc
Repository revision: 0edd7770e0ce70cac59f239134962d10f48dec79
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/usr --without-libsystemd
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 38907 4530)
 (symbols 48 5110 0)
 (strings 32 13189 1629)
 (string-bytes 1 377949)
 (vectors 16 9355)
 (vector-slots 8 148819 10571)
 (floats 8 25 24)
 (intervals 56 348 5)
 (buffers 1000 11))