Subject: Re: [bug#58174] [PATCH 1/3] gnu: Add ocaml-domain-name.

From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 15:42:23 +0100

I don't have a strong opinion. Having mirage stuff in ocaml.scm is only because I didn't pay attention. We could move tgem to mirage.scm.

I agree moving stuff to ocaml-xyz and other subtopics could be good, but it's unrelated to this patcg series, so it shouldn't block it.

Le 22 novembre 2022 13:22:19 GMT+01:00, zimoun <[email-masked]> a écrit :
>Hi,
>
>On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 at 10:01, Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I'm fine with mirage specific stuff going in a mirage module, my issue
>> is that these first packages are not mirage specific, so I'd like to see
>> the separate module be more general (e.g. about networking), or for them
>> to just go in the ocaml module.
>
>Indeed, these 3 packages should be in (gnu packages ocaml) to be
>consistent with the current organization––MirageOS packages are already
>in this module:
>
>--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>./ocaml.scm:1169:            (url "https://github.com/mirage/bigarray-compat")
>./ocaml.scm:1587:              (url "https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-base64")
>./ocaml.scm:2448:           (url "https://github.com/mirage/alcotest")
>./ocaml.scm:2595:            (url "https://github.com/mirage/mmap")
>./ocaml.scm:3807:              (url "https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-cstruct")
>./ocaml.scm:3822:            (url "https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-hex")
>./ocaml.scm:3847:    (url "https://github.com/mirage/ezjsonm")
>./ocaml.scm:3902:    (url "https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-uri")
>./ocaml.scm:8149:      (url "https://github.com/mirage/either")
>./ocaml.scm:8428:     (url "https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-cohttp")
>--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
>
>About an OCaml module restructure: Well, in the module (gnu packages
>ocaml), I count 291 packages, from compilers to standalone program
>(unison) or libraries (ocaml-<something>).
>
>IMHO, to be consistent with other build system, the structure should be:
>
> - (gnu packages ocaml): contains OCaml compilers and toolchain
> - (gnu packages ocaml-xyz): contains libraries and standalone program
> - and maybe other (gnu packages ocaml-<subtopic>)?
>
>OCaml team, WDYT?
>
>Cheers,
>simon