Subject: Re: [bug#58174] [PATCH 1/3] gnu: Add ocaml-domain-name.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 13:22:19 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 at 10:01, Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm fine with mirage specific stuff going in a mirage module, my issue
> is that these first packages are not mirage specific, so I'd like to see
> the separate module be more general (e.g. about networking), or for them
> to just go in the ocaml module.

Indeed, these 3 packages should be in (gnu packages ocaml) to be
consistent with the current organization––MirageOS packages are already
in this module:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
./ocaml.scm:1169:            (url "https://github.com/mirage/bigarray-compat")
./ocaml.scm:1587:              (url "https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-base64")
./ocaml.scm:2448:           (url "https://github.com/mirage/alcotest")
./ocaml.scm:2595:            (url "https://github.com/mirage/mmap")
./ocaml.scm:3807:              (url "https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-cstruct")
./ocaml.scm:3822:            (url "https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-hex")
./ocaml.scm:3847:    (url "https://github.com/mirage/ezjsonm")
./ocaml.scm:3902:    (url "https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-uri")
./ocaml.scm:8149:      (url "https://github.com/mirage/either")
./ocaml.scm:8428:     (url "https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-cohttp")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

About an OCaml module restructure: Well, in the module (gnu packages
ocaml), I count 291 packages, from compilers to standalone program
(unison) or libraries (ocaml-<something>).

IMHO, to be consistent with other build system, the structure should be:

 - (gnu packages ocaml): contains OCaml compilers and toolchain
 - (gnu packages ocaml-xyz): contains libraries and standalone program
 - and maybe other (gnu packages ocaml-<subtopic>)?

OCaml team, WDYT?

Cheers,
simon