Subject: bug#58166: Changes to mcron service not applied after home reconfiguration

From: Fabio Natali <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 16:21:20 +0100

Dear All,

My Guix Home configuration includes a Mcron service along the lines of:

,----
| (define my/home-mcron-service
|   (service
|    home-mcron-service-type
|    (home-mcron-configuration
|     (jobs
|      (list
|       #~(job
|          '(next-minute)
|          (lambda () (system* "notmuch" "new"))
|          "Get new email and process it via the Notmuch hook scripts."))))))
`----

After updating the above snippet in my `home-config.scm' and launching a
home-reconfiguration, I noticed that the mcron changes had not been
picked up.

For instance, `herd schedule mcron' prints information that's clearly
related to the previous job. A `herd restart mcron' also doesn't seem to
help.

The mcron job is finally picked up when restarting the system though,
which also seems to confirm the mcron job is ok, in itself.

I'll try and explore this a bit further later but I thought of opening a
bug as well. Anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks, best, Fabio.