Subject: bug#58164: closed (Re: bug#58164: 28.1; keybinding C-z to suspend-frame in fvwm windowmanager seems to get lost after first use.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 08:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#58164: 28.1; keybinding C-z to suspend-frame in fvwm windowmanager seems to get lost after first use.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58164: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58164
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58164: 28.1; keybinding C-z to suspend-frame in fvwm windowmanager seems to get lost after first use.
From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
To: Jos de Kloe <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 16:30:49 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Jos de Kloe <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes, I can confirm that the master branch solves the issue on my
> side. Iconify works again as intended, also after several
> iconify/de-iconify actions.
>
> Thanks a lot for your support !

Thanks, closing.

Subject: 28.1; keybinding C-z to suspend-frame in fvwm windowmanager seems to get lost after first use.
From: Jos de Kloe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 16:32:39 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After migrating from emacs 27.2 to emacs 28-1 (default versions in 
Fedora 35 and Fedora 36) I observe a strange behavior for the C-z 
key-binding.
It only occurs if I use fvwm as windowmanager (which is still X11 
based), and is absent if I use xfce in stead.

For emacs 27-2 all works as intended and C-z will let the emacs window 
iconify. And double clicking the iconified emacs will raise it again. No 
problems here.

But for emacs 28-1 the C-z command works only once. If I raise emacs and 
try again to issue C-z it does not iconify, but looses focus in stead.
Also after regaining focus by moving the mouse out and back in to the 
emacs window, C-z does not return to its intended behavior.

I tested with the standard Fedora versions:
    emacs-1:27.2-9.fc35.x86_64
    emacs-1:28.1-2.fc36.x86_64
on a Fedora 36 workstation installation.

I also tested this by downloading the emacs sources for versions 27-2 
and 28-1 and compiling it myself, and the situation does not change. The 
bug is present in version 28-1 and absent in version 27.2.
So there is no relation to the Fedora packaging process. It really seems 
to be a bug inside emacs itself.

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6)
  of 2022-07-15 built on buildhw-x86-02.iad2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Fedora Linux 36 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
  'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
  --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
  --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
  --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
  --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
  --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
  --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
  --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=no
  --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz --with-cairo --with-json
  --with-native-compilation build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
  host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
  -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
  -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
  -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
  -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
  -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 68513 5974)
  (symbols 48 6648 2)
  (strings 32 19711 2609)
  (string-bytes 1 675049)
  (vectors 16 14175)
  (vector-slots 8 300265 11315)
  (floats 8 22 33)
  (intervals 56 272 0)
  (buffers 992 12))

-- 
*******************************************************
   dr. J. de Kloe
   [email-masked]  [email-masked]
*******************************************************