Subject: bug#58159: [PATCH] Add support for the Wancho script

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 21:58:01 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

Do we really want to complicate Emacs to support the Wancho script?
According to Wikipedia, the Wancho script was invented 10 years ago;
Wancho is normally written using the Latin alphabet or Devanagari.
Some schools are starting to teach writing Wancho using that alphabet
instead of the well-known alphabet.  I suppose there is a campaign
for Wancho speakers to switch to it.

Is that really a good idea?  I suspect it comes from a sort of
boosterism/ethnic nationalism, as if having your own script were a
mark of importance.  But I think it is counterproductive to introduce
more incompatibility of scripts.

Do we really want to spend time on Emacs supporting scripts
which were created recently and have little user base?

English does not have an alphabet of its own; it uses an alphabet
borrowed from Latin.  Maybe English needs more prestige to compete
with Chinese and Hindi.  Should we invent a new English alphabet?

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)