Subject: bug#58150: 29.0.50; parse_tool_bar_item should not usually upcase "and"

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 16:09:37 -0700

Hello,

On Thu 29 Sep 2022 at 11:00PM GMT, Gregory Heytings wrote:

>>> Otherwise somebody could, of course, just write a function that capitalises
>>> titles correctly according to one or other of the English title
>>> capitalisation standards -- which isn't difficult, and would be generally
>>> useful.
>>
>> I'm not sure it's so simple, actually, and I think your first suggestion is
>> preferable.  For example, "Go To Node" in the Info toolbar is probably
>> correct, because it's a whole phrasal verb, but in other contexts, "to" in
>> titles isn't capitalised.
>>
>
> Indeed, it's not easy, and can probably not be mechanized, because whether a
> word should be capitalized or not may depend on its semantics.  The CMOS gives
> the following rules (I removed some parts that are not important in the
> context of Emacs):

The way they are written, they're more like guidelines, not rules, which
only proves the point, I suppose.  Thanks for sharing these.

-- 
Sean Whitton