Subject: Re: bug#58150: 29.0.50; parse_tool_bar_item should not usually upcase "and"

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 15:43:24 -0700

Hello,

On Thu 29 Sep 2022 at 01:02PM +02, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> One possibility is a defcustom to only upcase the very first character.
>> Maybe it should even be t by default: this will produce more correct
>> results than the current scheme.
>
> I think the upcasing should be removed, and the tool bar labels should
> be capitalised properly to begin with.  That requires somebody to do a
> review of this first, and fix the tool bar definitions, though.  Like:
>
>     (define-key map [isearch-occur]
>       (list 'menu-item "Show hits" 'isearch-occur
>             :help "Show each search hit"
>             :image '(isearch-tool-bar-image "index")))
>
> Should be "Show Hits" etc.
>
> Otherwise somebody could, of course, just write a function that
> capitalises titles correctly according to one or other of the English
> title capitalisation standards -- which isn't difficult, and would be
> generally useful.

I'm not sure it's so simple, actually, and I think your first suggestion
is preferable.  For example, "Go To Node" in the Info toolbar is
probably correct, because it's a whole phrasal verb, but in other
contexts, "to" in titles isn't capitalised.

-- 
Sean Whitton