Subject: Re: bug#58149: guix pull error

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 11:34:13 +0200

Hi Matthieu,

I figured there’s an easier option:

  guix build \
    /gnu/store/n8vdar2f60mvq62g7mngpqwykbm9rw1q-guix-1.2.0rc2-1.0d4b1af
  sudo -i guix package -r guix -i \
    /gnu/store/n8vdar2f60mvq62g7mngpqwykbm9rw1q-guix-1.2.0rc2-1.0d4b1af

This will install Guix 1.2 in root’s profile (with
/usr/local/bin/guix-daemon pointing to it, normally).  You can then
start this new daemon:

  systemctl restart guix-daemon

At that point you have lzip support.  Thus, you should be able to
upgrade the daemon to the latest one (while at it) using the documented
procedure:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Upgrading-Guix.html

Let me know how it goes!

Matthieu Haefele <[email-masked]> skribis:

>  (base) mhaefele@mdlspc113:m2-mms-hpc (master)*$ guix build --no-substitutes \
>      $(guix gc --derivers /gnu/store/r658y3cgpnf99nxjxqgjiaizx20ac4k0-guile-2.2.4)

[...]

> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [../../gcc-5.5.0/gcc/c/Make-lang.in:71: cc1] Error 1

I don’t see an error message in the snippet you pasted.  Could it be
OOM, or was there a clue in /var/log/messages or similar?

> Thanks for diving in this ocean of code and trying to make it manageable with a reproducible process to build it :)

That’s an insightful exercise for sure.  :-)

> BTW I am watching the videos of the very interesting event organized
> for the ten years of guix. The presentation of Efraim Flashner stunted
> me. 40h of compile just for rust from the bootstrap on a RISC-V but
> still GHz processor. How can these things work in the end ... ? Life,
> as the single negentropic known process should play its role here as
> well. The minimalism wished by Pjotr Prins is the way to go if we want
> to keep the illusion of controlling what we are doing.

The bootstrapping effort is about “regaining control” of our software
stack in a way, but it shows just how much things had gotten awry.

Thanks again,
Ludo’.