Subject: bug#58149: guix pull error

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:59:52 +0200

Hi,

Matthieu Haefele <[email-masked]> skribis:

> (base) mhaefele@mdlspc113:work $ /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix-daemon --version
>
> guix-daemon (GNU Guix) 1.0.1

It’s indeed a pre-lzip version¹.

Normally, ‘guix’ commands have been printing a message reading “Your
Guix daemon is severely outdated […]”  since February 2022 when talking
to an old daemon.  Can you confirm this was the case?  (If not, we have
a bug in the deprecation machinery.)

¹ https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2019/gnu-guix-1.0.1-released/

> Updating the daemon triggers the same error wit "unsupported compression scheme lzip"
>
> ########
>
> (base) mhaefele@mdlspc113:work $ sudo -i guix pull

I would suggest doing a two-step upgrade; first upgrade to 1.3.0:

  sudo -i guix pull --commit=a0178d34f582b50e9bdbb0403943129ae5b560ff

and follow the instructions at
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Upgrading-Guix.html>.

After that you can optionally make the same operation to update to the
last commit in ‘master’.

HTH!

Ludo’.