Subject: Re: bug#58149: guix pull error

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 17:38:53 +0200

Hi Matthieu,

Thanks for your feedback.

On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 at 17:17, Matthieu Haefele <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 1. If it is technically possible, depending on the difference between the current installed and the latest available versions of the daemon, I would print at the end of a `guix pull`, a message asking for the upgrade of the guix daemon going from the notice of these versions to a critical warning.

Ah yes, it could a nice mechanism... instead of reading "guix pull
--news" and miss the notification about a change in guix-daemon, maybe
it could be nice to have, similarly as "old Guix, please run guix
pull", something like "old guix-daemon, please run guix pull as root".

> More generally, the guix doc is very well written, compact and informative, but it is like an encyclopedia. You have to read it almost entirely and extract  the basics from large amounts of advanced features to get started. I totally agree with Konrad Hinsen's comment on the documentation at the last 10 years birthday conference, some first level / tutorials like documentation is missing. I took some notes during my guix learning process and I started to put them on this wiki page (well, in French...). I can try to find some time to go on with this exercise ... if you find it relevant of course.

If you speak French, and as an attempt to improve the situation about
first level / tutorials, you could be interested by this 1h video [1]
and attached materials.  Well, maybe it helps your colleagues who have
not jumped into Guix, yet! :-)

1: https://replay.jres.org/w/3TuYmocHwKtzs7q1VtL1GB
2: https://zimoun.gitlab.io/jres22-tuto-guix/
3: https://gitlab.com/zimoun/jres22-tuto-guix

Cheers,
simon