Subject: bug#58149: guix pull error

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 15:56:56 +0200

Hi,

As a rule of thumb, I do not recommend to update Guix via the package
manager of the foreign distro.  Because 1. no so much foreign distro
provide such Guix package and 2. the package from this foreign package
manager can be outdated.

To me, Guix via the package manager of the foreign distro is a way for
easing the installation.  However, I agree with Maxime that it is
beneficial to ask to the foreign distro to update their Guix package.
:-)

On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 at 14:14, Matthieu Haefele <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Thanks for the explaination, it confirms what I understood. Maybe the three lines above should be part of some best practise or
> documentation, especially for people like me running guix on a foreign distro without using the distro's package manager. I do not
> remember having seen such recommendation.

Currently, the manual mentions "guix pull" in the header [1], then as
a step of the installation process [2], and a section is dedicated
[3].

Indeed, Invoke guix-daemon [4] does not mention "guix pull" and the
section about "guix pull" [5] does not mention it neither.

Well, what do you think that could be helpful?

1: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Installation
2: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Binary-Installation
3: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Upgrading-Guix
4: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Invoking-guix_002ddaemon
5: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Invoking-guix-pull

Cheers,
simon