Subject: bug#58147: closed (Re: bug#58147: FAAC considered nonfree by Debian and Parabola)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 12:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#58147: FAAC considered nonfree by Debian and Parabola

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58147: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58147
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58147: FAAC considered nonfree by Debian and Parabola
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 14:00:30 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Am Mittwoch, dem 28.09.2022 um 18:41 -0400 schrieb Mark H Weaver:
> Based on the file names, I very much doubt that this library works at
> all without the nonfree source files.  Therefore, we must remove the
> 'faac' package from Guix.
> 
>       Thanks,
>         Mark
Took me long enough, but I now removed it.

Cheers

Subject: FAAC considered nonfree by Debian and Parabola
From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 19:12:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

The faac package is considered nonfree in Debian[1] and also in
Parabola because according to the Parabola blacklist faac "is a GPL'ed
package, but has non free code that can't be distributed under the
GPL"[2].

The path chosen by Parabola (and probably most other FSDG compliant or
100% free distributions) was to make the packages not depend on
faac. 

A quick search in the Parabola packages list[3] can show some of the
packages having been (re)built without faac support[4].

Reference:
----------
[1]https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/faac
[2]https://git.parabola.nu/blacklist.git/tree/blacklist.txt#n104
[3]https://www.parabola.nu/packages/?sort=&arch=x86_64&repo=Libre&q=faac&maintainer=&flagged=
[4]Parabola uses most Arch Linux packages as-is, and it excludes
   problematic packages and/or replaces problematic packages. This is
   why some of the replacement packages mention "without nonfree faac".

Denis.