Subject: 29.0.50; Typing getting garbled in mail-mode

From: Robert Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 10:01:26 +0100

I'm regularly seeing what I type getting garbled when I'm typing a
message in mail-mode. I'm not sure that it's mail mode that is
responsible but that's where I'm doing most typing these days. At first
I thought it was age and lack of coordination but I think that's
unlikely.

Typically I'm seeing characters not appearing and then the buffered
text appears all at once in a randomised 'wodge'. I've just this morning typed
Matt and ttaM appeared on the screen, I don't think I'd have pressed
the shift key in such a wildly incorrect place.  Another example - "to
discuss?" came out as "tsis?d oucs" (without the quotes)

Typically none of *this* message came out garbled but it's a more or less daily
event.

C-h l probably needs checking next time if there's no other obvious causes.

Robert

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-07-28 built on poulenc
Repository revision: 5999dc1cd925ddf8af0b893432124af7904a6918
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-xpm=ifavailable'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/robert/elisp/dired-async hides /home/robert/.emacs.d/elpa/async-20191030.2138/dired-async
/home/robert/elisp/async hides /home/robert/.emacs.d/elpa/async-20191030.2138/async
/home/robert/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20191115.1356/transient hides /home/robert/emacs-git/new/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug help-fns radix-tree vm-digest org-element avl-tree
ol-eww eww xdg mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
ol-docview ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline icons org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table
oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func doc-view filenotify jka-compr dabbrev conf-mode
canlock bbdb-message footnote rx etags fileloop generator xref project
pcmpl-unix files-x eimp easy-mmode image-mode exif smtpmail flyspell
ispell gnus-fun vm-mark shell pcomplete comint ring bookmark flow-fill
thingatpt dired-aux url-queue url-cache shr-color color misearch
multi-isearch pp mm-archive mule-util sort smiley ansi-color gnus-cite
mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-bcklg qp cl-extra help-mode
gnus-async gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh
nnfolder gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
gnus-cache bbdb-gnus network-stream nntp bbdb-vm bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm
vm-pine gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file url-dired svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
yank-media dired-x dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util
text-property-search range bbdb bbdb-site timezone sendmail mail-utils
vm-rfaddons vm-reply vm-imap vm-save vm-virtual vm-summary-faces
vm-delete vm-pop vm-undo vm-sort vm-thread vm-mime vm-toolbar vm-menu
tapestry vm-window vm-folder vm-crypto vm-summary vm-mouse vm-page
vm-motion vm-minibuf vm-message vm-misc vm-macro vm-autoloads vm-vars
vm-version vm twittering-mode advice identica-mode url-http url-auth
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
url-gw nsm puny longlines parse-time iso8601 time-date xml cl
cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays
holiday-loaddefs diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs server tbemail org-install hi-lock desktop frameset
recentf tree-widget wid-edit bbdb-loaddefs finder-inf info package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple
cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1832482 191279)
 (symbols 48 89735 176)
 (strings 32 644772 24983)
 (string-bytes 1 16723612)
 (vectors 16 246743)
 (vector-slots 8 3501871 289210)
 (floats 8 1190 868)
 (intervals 56 164722 672)
 (buffers 992 72))