Subject: Re: bug#58135: 29.0.50; Typing getting garbled in mail-mode

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 20:18:02 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 11:08:59 +0000
>> From: Robert Marshall <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],
>>     [email-masked]
>> 
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>>  > Is the wrong order real, or just on display?  IOW, what happens if you
>>  > save the buffer to a file -- do you see the wrong order in the file as
>>  > well?
>>  > 
>> 
>> I saved a buffer containing garbled "r dehsangul ce" - I typed "rules
>> changed" to a file and the contents of the file were as in the buffer
>> - so the wrong order was real rather than just being displayed.
>
> That would mean something really changes the input events that Emacs
> receives.  Does "C-h l" after this happens indeed shows the characters
> in the wrong order?

And if it does, would you please try turning off input method support,
by running Emacs like so:

  emacs (other options here) -xrm 'Emacs.useXIM: off'

the extra layers of indirection involved in ferrying events to and fro
the input method may be causing this problem, and narrowing it down to
the input method would make it easier to debug.

Thanks.