Subject: Re: bug#5812: expr: Difference in behavior of match and :

From: Adil Mujeeb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:02:26 +0530

Thanks Bob for such a nice explanation and your instinct is right. It is
locale problem.

-bash-3.1$ locale

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_ALL=

-bash-3.1$

And the other point you made is also right. I didn’t realize that I was
using another session for comparing the result with match which ahs
different locale:-

-bash-3.1$

LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8

LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_NUMERIC="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_TIME="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_COLLATE="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_MONETARY="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_MESSAGES="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_PAPER="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_NAME="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_ADDRESS="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_TELEPHONE="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_MEASUREMENT="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_IDENTIFICATION="ja_JP.UTF-8"

LC_ALL=

-bash-3.1$

I never knew that locale has effect on the behavior. We can close this bug.

Thank you so much for your time and details, I have learnt new thing :)

Also, thanks for correcting my regex.

Thanks and Regards,
Adil Mujeeb