Subject: Re: bug#5809: 23.1.94; cross-reference by anchor yields in accurate position

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 21:30:30 +0300

>> >> This is a known side-effect of the breadcrumbs feature.
>> >> When you set `Info-breadcrumbs-depth' to 0, everything is ok.
>> >
>> > I hope this will be fixed nonetheless.  There's no particular reason
>> > why the breadcrumbs should defeat cross-references.
>>
>> Maybe we should disable breadcrumbs in 23.2?
>
> I cannot believe this is so hard to fix properly.  Can you describe
> the details?

Info breadcrumbs are currently implemented by inserting a string into
the Info buffer.  This breaks all point positions that Info functions
are relied upon.  It is a daunting task to try to account these offsets
for the lengths of breadcrumb strings inserted in all visited nodes
above the current node in the current Info file.  This practically
means rewriting the core logic of info.el just before the release.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/