Subject: Re: bug#58073: 29.0.50; Uninstalled emacs sends startup messages to stderr

From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 18:03:50 +0200

Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> 
>>> One problem with that approach is that the wrapper cannot be named
>>> "emacs".
>>
>> One thing I can suggest is to use the --dump-file=FILE command-line
>> option inside the script to direct Emacs to its .pdmp file.  If you
>> don't do that, Emacs tries to intuit it using the value of argv[0] it
>> receives from the OS, and I guess your naming somehow trips that?
>
> Thanks for the hint, that might come in handy.  However, I think I made
> a mistake when testing earlier; it now works when the wrapper is named
> "emacs", despite not using --dump-file=FILE.

For the record, I figured out why it "works now but didn't work before".

  cat
  #!/bin/sh
  unset EMACSLOADPATH
  exec -a "emacs" "/home/jonas/src/emacs/emacs/src/emacs" "$@"

*appears* to work as intended (by me), but in actuality it uses the
libraries from where the package is installed, *not* from the source
repository.  I didn't inspect closely enough before to notice this.
Also, the name of the wrapper script does not actually matter.  (Use
of --dump-file doesn't help.)

Of course that doesn't work if Emacs hasn't actually been installed.

For completeness sake I should mention that I have once more confirmed
that using a symlink works (the libraries from the repo are used), but
an alias does not work (the files from the installation are used).

> Please close, and sorry for the noise.

No need to reopen, as far as I am concerned, but I thought it was
worth mentioning this here.