Subject: bug#58073: closed (Re: bug#58073: 29.0.50; Uninstalled emacs sends startup messages to stderr)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 22:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#58073: 29.0.50; Uninstalled emacs sends startup messages to stderr

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58073: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58073
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58073: 29.0.50; Uninstalled emacs sends startup messages to stderr
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 00:14:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]> writes:

> Please close,

Done.

Subject: 29.0.50; Uninstalled emacs sends startup messages to stderr
From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 17:15:18 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I usually run emacs without installing it, via a symlink, which is
placed on PATH and which points at the executable in the checkout.
Due to reasons that aren't important here, I recently had to replace the
symlink with a wrapper script, and that resulted in these messages being
send to stderr.

  Loading loadup.el (source)...
  Dump mode: nil
  Using load-path (...)
  Loading emacs-lisp/debug-early...
  ...
  Finding pointers to doc strings...done

Running the executable directly also results in these messages.

I then changed my wrapper script to use an intermediate symlink, with
the resulted that the messages were not being shown for a while again,
but today I updated emacs again and now the messages are always shown.
Using a symlink no longer suppresses them.

Are this messages shown intentionally?  Is it already possible to
suppress them?  If not, could something be added to allow suppressing
them?

(I prefer to run the uninstalled executable, because that allows me
to jump to a definition and then immediately view its history.)

     Thanks,
     Jonas