Subject: bug#58071: 28.2; [PATCH] jumprel: A tool to find/create related files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:42:15 +0300

> From: Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 13:20:28 +0200
> 
> Please find attached jumprel, a tool to find/create related files. This
> tool has been described (and compared with `find-file.el' and
> `find-sibling-file') in emacs-devel's thread "Comparison of tools to
> search for related files".

Thanks.  A few high-level comments I have are:

 . "jumprel" is not the best name, IMO; something like "related-files"
   would be better
 . what you call "recipes", i.e. descriptors of how to generate the
   name of related files from a given file name, should be documented
   in a single doc string, and the other places that use recipes
   should reference the symbol whose doc string documents them
   (currently, it looks like the documentation is scattered all over
   the code and comments, and mainly as examples; there's no single
   exhaustive list with descriptions)
 . I find no documentation of how to describe alternatives -- several
   alternative file names produced from a single original file name
 . I wonder whether "recipes" like these are a convenient method of
   customizing this facility: do people really find it easy to write
   "ordered" property lists for this purpose?