Subject: Re: bug#58070: [PATCH] Add tamil99 input method

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 17:23:46 +0300

> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:44:44 +0530
> 
> [ஞாயிறு செப்டம்பர் 25, 2022] Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> >> AFAIK, MS Windows' tamil99 keyboard layout behaves like mine, whereas
> >> the ibus layout behaves like your implementation.  If you are a heavy
> >> user of this layout, can you try out the attached?
> >
> > Please note that we could have support for both layouts, there's no
> > particular reason we should have only one.
> 
> Yes of course but I'm afraid that it will create unneeded confusion,
> since the differences are quite subtle.

Why do you think it will confuse users to have two input methods, each
one for one of the layouts?  If the supported layout is clearly stated
in the documentation (or even in the name of the IM), why would it
confuse?

Please note that we already have several examples where different
input methods for the same language are offered, one each for every
keyboard layout we think users could find useful.  Is Tamil different
in some way?

> So I would prefer the layout which is familiar to most users to get
> in core.

If one of the layouts comes from Windows, the other from Unix, we are
likely to have two large groups of users, each one of which is
familiar with a different layout.  Why not offer them both what they
are familiar with?