Subject: bug#58070: [PATCH 0/1] Add tamil99 input method

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 20:12:08 +0530

[ I'm sending through webmail since msmtp fails to send the message,
apologies for any mishaps.  ]

[சனி அக்டோபர் 15, 2022] Arun Isaac wrote:

>> Which patch is that?  AFAIR, the discussion wasn't completed, or at
>> least I didn't hear an agreement that your IM should be installed as
>> the only one.
>
> In https://issues.guix.gnu.org/58070#25 , I made the case that
> Visuwesh's implementation does not have enough information to work
> consistently. So, I thought the matter was settled. But sure, let's wait
> for Visuwesh to chime in.

I currently don't have enough time to really evaluate the differences
between our layouts however, my layout can lead to really unexpected
results in certain cases and it is not tested well enough.  So I would
prefer for Arun's patch to go in.

One comment: why not use link to the Tamil99 keyboard layout spec [1]
and change "vowel+consonant after mellinam-vallinam consonant" to say
"vowel+consonant after hard-soft consonant" like it says in the spec to
help future maintainers who will read this code?

>> In addition, I'd rather we had Tamil input methods in a single file,
>> so how about adding your input method to indian.el?
>
> The indian.el file is likely to get very crowded in the future. But
> sure, I'll move tamil99 into indian.el. Patch follows in a separate mail
> soon.

I don't think it is too crowded, FWIW.  The input methods are sectioned
off based on the language.

1. http://www.tamilvu.org/ta/tkbd-index-341488 (direct link
   http://www.tamilvu.org/tkbd/Tamil_Unicode_G.O.zip).