Subject: Re: bug#58069: Latex

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 01:24:58 +0900

Hi Hendrik,

>>>>> Hendrik Rommeswinkel via bug-auctex via Bug reporting list for AUCTeX <[email-masked]> writes:
> When I am in insert mode and press "`a" the behavior depends on
> whether the cursor is in a math environment (where it inserts
> "\alpha") or in a text environment (where it inserts "\alpha{}"). Is
> this intended? I am thrown off by this inconsistency to the extent
> that I hardly use the shortcuts because I sometimes sketch a quick
> formula outside of a math environment (which is probably bad
> style...).

The behavior is determined by the user options `TeX-insert-braces' and
`TeX-insert-braces-alist'. In that sense, yes, it's intended behavior.
The default value of `TeX-insert-braces' is t, which means that AUCTeX
supplies a pair of brace for standard macros. (You'll notice that AUCTeX
supplies braces even in math mode when there is active region.)

I personally dislike this behavior, so disabled `TeX-insert-braces'. You
can have per-macro control over the decision whether the braces are
added or not by `TeX-insert-braces-alist'.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine