Subject: bug#58049: 29.0.50; Obsolete url schemes "info" and "man"

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 07:57:46 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 19:05:13 -0400
> 
> Severity: wishlist
> 
> I don't think non-standard URLs like these are used much, and they're
> probably not very useful.  They're more likely to cause confusion.

How do you know all these things?  Do you have any data to support
those opinions?

>     (url-retrieve-synchronously "info:url#Retrieving URLs")
>     (url-retrieve-synchronously "man:cat")
> 
> I suggest support for such URLs is obsoleted, and that they are removed
> from (info "(url) Supported URL Types").

I don't see why we should.  Do they require any significant
maintenance effort to keep them?

Let's not obsolete/remove features just because we don't know who'd
need them.  Support for many features, some of them perhaps obscure to
many, is one of important traits of Emacs, so let's try keeping that
where it costs us little to do so.