Subject: bug#58049: closed (Re: bug#58049: 29.0.50; Obsolete url schemes "info" and "man")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 11:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#58049: 29.0.50; Obsolete url schemes "info" and "man"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58049: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58049
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58049: 29.0.50; Obsolete url schemes "info" and "man"
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 07:15:01 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not sure that's really that helpful -- they're not deprecated in any
> "formal" sense, and I think the likelihood of them being reimplemented
> is minuscule.

Fair enough.  So I guess we want to leave this alone, and I'm closing
this bug.

Subject: 29.0.50; Obsolete url schemes "info" and "man"
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 19:05:13 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: wishlist

I don't think non-standard URLs like these are used much, and they're
probably not very useful.  They're more likely to cause confusion.

    (url-retrieve-synchronously "info:url#Retrieving URLs")
    (url-retrieve-synchronously "man:cat")

I suggest support for such URLs is obsoleted, and that they are removed
from (info "(url) Supported URL Types").

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-09-24 built on joffe
Repository revision: 351d4dce21eaad30bb8b8a7d6a64463164f3e0bc
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: sv_SE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv
cl-extra help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 76956 6382)
 (symbols 48 7158 0)
 (strings 32 19911 1851)
 (string-bytes 1 602537)
 (vectors 16 15964)
 (vector-slots 8 323593 16028)
 (floats 8 42 26)
 (intervals 56 235 0)
 (buffers 1000 12))