Subject: bug#58049: 29.0.50; Obsolete url schemes "info" and "man"

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 14:52:27 +0300

* Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> [2022-09-25 02:07]:
> Severity: wishlist
> 
> I don't think non-standard URLs like these are used much, and they're
> probably not very useful.  They're more likely to cause confusion.
> 
>     (url-retrieve-synchronously "info:url#Retrieving URLs")
>     (url-retrieve-synchronously "man:cat")
> 
> I suggest support for such URLs is obsoleted, and that they are removed
> from (info "(url) Supported URL Types").

Please don't. There are many different URLs and you can't know how
users have implemented it. Yes, I agree they are less known, less
used, nevertheless it makes no sense to obsolete it.

Hyperlinking is major computing feature since Doug Engelbart, and the
fact that we have not implement it sufficiently does not mean it shall
be obsoleted.

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/