Subject: bug#58025: [PATCH] Ensure `byte-compile-dest-file-function' is used

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:15:48 -0600

Hi Richard - I installed the -l bytecomp patch you sent (copied below).
It seems safe, and good in any case. Thanks.

If there are changes to make in the -Q / -q area, let's address those
separately. (I'll close this bug, I guess, but fine to keep discussing
wherever.) I don't think Automake uses -Q now?

Since the release of 1.16.5, there has been one change already, to pass
--no-site-file (as you can see below; I'll attach the current lisp.am
for possible convenience). From your research, I guess that should be
changed to -no-site-file (one hyphen)? Where is it that the
double-hyphen --no... fails?

In general, it is definitely necessary to support Emacs 21 (I use it :).
I'm not sure if we absolutely have to support 18 or 19, but when
possible, it is certainly desirable. --thanks, karl.

* lib/am/lisp.am (.el.elc): Require the bytecomp library so
byte-compile-dest-file-function can be used when available.
diff --git a/lib/am/lisp.am b/lib/am/lisp.am
index 6395ef389..500e2c530 100644
--- a/lib/am/lisp.am
+++ b/lib/am/lisp.am
@@ -41,6 +41,7 @@ endif %?INSTALL%
          $(EMACS) --batch --no-site-file \
            $(AM_ELCFLAGS) $(ELCFLAGS) \
            $$am__subdir_includes -L $(builddir) -L $(srcdir) \
+	    -l bytecomp \
            --eval '$(am__emacs_byte_compile_setup)' \
            -f batch-byte-compile '$<'; \
        else :; fi