Subject: bug#58025: [PATCH] Ensure `byte-compile-dest-file-function' is used

From: Richard Hopkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:45:02 +0100

On 2022-09-23 16:15, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Thank you for the patch.  Are you able to test it with a version of
> GNU Emacs older than 23.2?  I see that you tested it with XEmacs 21,
> but as I recall there were quite substantial differences between
> XEmacs 21 and GNU Emacs of similar vintage.
> 

I've now managed to test this on Emacs 21.4.1 (Slackware 12.0) and
the byte compilation works - loading bytecomp is fine, and
`byte-compile-dest-file' is defined as expected.  The other patch
to respect silent rules also works on 21.4.1.

If we do need to support that far back I will investigate the "-Q"
/ "--no-site-file" handling to improve compatibility across the
board.

"-Q" will error before GNU Emacs 22, and is ignored on XEmacs.

"-no-site-file" (single hypen) should be used instead of
"--no-site-file" as it works on all of them.

"-Q" also shouldn't be specified on later GNU Emacs as it affects
the result of `am_cv_lispdir' calculation due to excluding
site lisp directories from `load-path' which it's trying to find.
This is because "-Q" also adds "--no-site-lisp" in later GNU Emacs.

So, the plan will be to not use "-Q" and to use "-q -no-site-file"
instead.