Subject: Re: bug#58011: Jitsi, Bowser, and IceCat's user agent string

From: Michael McMahon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 22:50:06 -0400

Hi, Mark!

I have not used IceCat 102 myself, but the user that reported this 
claimed they were using 102.3esr.  I pulled the user agent string from 
nginx logs from a jitsi-meet instance so some people are using it in the 
wild.

I made a server-side change to correct IceCat to Firefox on the server 
side and asked them to try again [1].  The single change did not fix the 
issue, but after the user claims that the page worked after they 
disabling privacy.resistFingerprinting.

[1] 
https://github.com/jitsi/js-utils/blob/master/browser-detection/BrowserDetection.js#L19

Best,
Michael McMahon | Web Developer, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: 4337 2794 C8AD D5CA 8FCF  FA6C D037 59DA B600 E3C0
https://fsf.org

On 9/22/22 20:51, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> 
> Michael McMahon <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> I received a report that an IceCat user was not able to use Jitsi with
>> IceCat 102.  They reported that changing the user agent string to
>> Firefox fixed their issue.
> [...]
>> IceCat 102's user agent string looks like this:
>>
>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 IceCat/102.0
> 
> That's not what I'm seeing with IceCat 102.3.0-guix0-preview1 as built
> by GNU Guix.  Using a freshly created profile, I visited a website
> served by my own web server, and then looked at its logs, which revealed
> that my Guix-built IceCat 102 sent the following user agent string:
> 
>    "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0"
> 
> Can you tell me more about how you built or acquired the IceCat 102 that
> produced the user agent string ending with "IceCat/102.0"?
> 
>        Thanks,
>          Mark
>