Subject: Re: bug#58005: 13.1.4; Can't work with indirect buffers

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2024 12:04:06 +0900

Hi all,

>>>>> Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:
> Paul Nelson <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Somewhere between when I tried Vangelis's patch (earlier in this
>> thread) and when it was installed, it seems that a further change was
>> made to preview-region that breaks previews in indirect buffers.
>> Specifically, the substitution buffer-file-name ->
>> (TeX-buffer-file-name) was applied where it shouldn't be.
>> 
>> The issue is as explained in my earlier email in this thread -- we
>> actually want "<none>" to be the filename when doing previews for
>> indirect buffers, so that preview-parse-messages ultimately places
>> them according to the command buffer rather than according to the
>> filename.  (It might clarify here to note that AFAIK, the "original"
>> argument to TeX-region-create is relevant only when doing
>> preview-document, which is irrelevant for indirect buffers.)
>> 
>> I've attached a patch reverting this particular substitution, so that
>> previews once again work in indirect buffers.

> @Keita and Vangelis: Any comments on Paul's proposal?

Hmm, sorry. Contrary to what I said before, the current master puts the
preview images in the base buffer for both document preview (C-c C-p
C-d) and region preview (C-c C-p C-r etc.). Maybe I was doing something
wrong. :-(

It seems to me that Paul's approach makes sense. I'd like to hear
Vangelis'es opinion.

Best regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine
#Gaza #StopMassiveKilling #CeasefireNOW