Subject: bug#58005: 13.1.4; Can't work with indirect buffers

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 19:47:56 +0900

Hi Philipp, very sorry for such a long delay to reply.

>>>>> "Philipp G. Haselwarter" <[email-masked]> writes:
> Hi,
> I often find myself jumping from latex to the current position in the
> pdf via `pdf-sync-forward-search' from pdf-tools. This does not work
> when the buffer I am editing is an indirect buffer, like what you get
> from `C-x 4 c', i.e. `clone-indirect-buffer-other-window'.

> In particular, `TeX-master-file' and `TeX-strip-extension' in `tex.el'
> use `buffer-file-name', which reports `nil' in indirect buffers. One
> solution would be to use `ff-buffer-file-name' from `find-file.el'
> instead, which behaves correctly by returning the file name associated
> to the `buffer-base-buffer' of an indirect buffer.  Or maybe simply
> calling `(buffer-file-name (buffer-base-buffer))' would do.

I don't use indirect buffer, so please bear with me if I'm missing
points. So far AUCTeX didn't pay attention to indirect buffers, so I'm
afraid that numerous potential inconsistencies remain there even if your
suggestion is incorporated. For that reason, I'm reluctant to go in a
direction to tame AUCTeX to work properly with indirect buffers. Why do
you edit in an indirect buffer? (Even if there is good reason to do so,
I feel that it's enough to make C-c C-c (and similar commands) ask
whether to switch to base buffer when you are in indirect buffer.)

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine