Subject: Shrinking frames as of past month

From: Michael Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:20:35 -0700

<#part sign=pgpmime>
When I replaced my Emacs binary that was compiled in February with one
compiled from today's CVS HEAD, I noticed some very aberrant behavior
WRT frames.  I haven't updated the rest of my system in that time, such
as libraries, so it must be due to a change in Emacs.  It happens with
"emacs -Q" as well, so it's not caused to my init file.

Basically, GTK frames seem to shrink by about one character length every
time I do certain things such hitting viewing mail on Gnus, hitting the
key combination "M-x", or displaying an image by hitting RET on it in
dired.

The easiest way to replicate this is to view a directory which contains
image files in dired, and hit RET on one of them.  The frame will
shrink.  Hit C-x b to switch back and forth between the image and the
directory, and the frame will shrink further.  It might be necessary to
initially have the frame small enough that a line-wrap indicator shows
up in the fringe.

I also notice then when I resize the frames back to take up the original
amount of pixels in width, that the window manager thinks the dimensions
of the window are different than they are.  In two frames with the same
number of pixels long, and with Emacs displaying the same number of
characters, one is thought to be 80x35 by the window manager and the
other one (the one that shrank earlier) is thought to be 70x35.

Here are my compilation options:

Configured for `i686-pc-linux-gnu'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?    /stuff/proj/emacs/emacs/git-emacs
  What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/intel386.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign 
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          GTK
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard dirs
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a font backend?                          yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   yes

  Compiling with sync input.

Using --disable-sync-input did not make any difference.

-- 
|       Michael Olson  |  FSF Associate Member #652     |
| http://mwolson.org/  |  Hobbies: Lisp, HCoop          |
| Projects: Emacs, Muse, ERC, EMMS, ErBot, DVC, Planner |
`-------------------------------------------------------'