Subject: bug#57996: Re[2]: bug#57996: 28.2; imenu doesn't differentiate overloaded c++ functions

From: "Chris Hecker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 10:47:06 +0000

Yeah, I should probably switch to something a little more modern, but 
imenu has the advantage of just being there and working most of the time 
across all machines and shells and stuff.  It definitely gets confused 
occasionally (like it doesn't find inline functions in class 
declarations) but this overload thing seemed like it might be a simple 
fix.

The scanning interface to imenu allows just function names to be
collected.  It doesn't allow anything extra (such as a line number) to
be included into the alist.

I guess you could mangle the name to include the line number or match 
number...kinda hacky but it'd work...maybe I'll take a look.

Chris

------ Original Message ------
From: "Alan Mackenzie" <[email-masked]>
To: "Philip Kaludercic" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Chris Hecker" <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Sent: 2022-10-05 03:31:11
Subject: Re: bug#57996: 28.2; imenu doesn't differentiate overloaded c++ 
functions

>Hello, Chris and Philip.
>
>On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 13:13:16 +0000, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>>  "Chris Hecker" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>  > With this dumb c++ file:
>>  > ----
>>  > int Function( int n ) {
>>  >   return n;
>>  > }
>>  > int Function( float v ) {
>>  >   return (int)(v + 0.5);
>>  > }
>>  > ----
>
>>  > Hitting imenu only gives a single Function entry.  It should probably
>>  > give two, maybe with a line number after them like "Function(123)" or
>>  > whatever.  Currently there's no way to get to the second Function from
>>  > imenu.
>
>imenu is old and rather simplistic.  It parses a buffer, then stores the
>results in an association list.  It then uses the function assoc on that
>list to get "the" match.  What we could do with is a function which gets
>_all_ the matches from an alist, and I've asked on emacs-devel about
>this.
>
>>  Note that this is not the case when using Eglot and a LSP server like
>>  clangd.
>
>Much more modern!
>
>>  I've CC'ed Alan to see if he knows how this could be done by c++-mode
>>  itself.
>
>I'm pretty sure it couldn't be.  I think it would involve enhancing
>imenu.  The scanning interface to imenu allows just function names to be
>collected.  It doesn't allow anything extra (such as a line number) to
>be included into the alist.
>
>I've looked at problems with imenu in C++ Mode before, but got bogged
>down without coming up with a workable solution.  There the problem was
>identically named methods in different classes, or something like that.
>
>So, maybe we can enhance imenu.  But not for Emacs 29.
>
>--
>Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).