Subject: [bug#57984] [PATCH] gnu: Update zynaddsubfx to 3.0.6

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 17:11:50 +0200

On 27-10-2022 15:18, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> Hi Maxime,
> 
> Impressive work.  Are there outstanding things worthy of being fixed in
> your opinion, or do you think this version is ready to be merged and we
> can iterate improvements on top in time?  To my cursory look, I'd think
> it looks in a good enough shape, but I thought I'd ask before merging.

My primary concern is that while it builds, I haven't tested whether 
zynaddsubfx still works after my modifications.  There are two secondary 
concerns:

(*) The bundling.  Both zynaddsubfx and the new mruby-zest bundle rtosc.
Having multiple versions of the same library in the same program is 
known to potentially cause trouble, see e.g. 
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47115>.

The other bundling could be considered as 'can iterate improvements on 
top over time' I suppose.

(*) The fonts don't appear to be actually used (at least in the current 
configuration), so as you appear to prefer no font inputs, that seems 
feasible to me:

> On the fonts: I noticed that the fonts don't become part of the closure
> (with "guix gc --references").  As such, maybe the source files that
> use the fonts are actually unused.  I propose to give installing the
> examples that use the fonts a try, or alternatively explicitly choose
> to not install the (font-using) examples. 

(Alternatively, maybe I messed up the substitutions)

Greetings,
Maxime.