Subject: bug#57978: closed (Re: bug#58017: [PATCH 0/2] Retry nar downloads upon failure)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 21:25:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57978: 'guix substitute' stops when first substitute URL is unroutable

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57978: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57978
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58017: [PATCH 0/2] Retry nar downloads upon failure
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 23:24:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

>   substitute: Split nar download.
>   substitute: Retry downloading when a nar is unavailable.

Pushed as 8bd4126917f59f4af9a4323c3d5699201862dca2.  The ‘guix’ package
has yet to be updated.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: the fallback machanism for substitute servers doesn't work?
From: Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:11:06 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

ci.guix.gnu.org is down right now. if i add --substitute-urls=http://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org then things work, but sans that it fails:

$ ./pre-inst-env guix system --no-graphic vm ~/workspace/guix/guix-crypto/tests/swarm-tests.scm
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://substitutes.nonguix.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%guix substitute: warning: ci.guix.gnu.org: connection failed: No route to host
substitute: 
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
  /gnu/store/fkdmiwmvb6ar6n04hr470r3f5frgcbnc-bee-binary-1.8.1.drv
  /gnu/store/ksqiqmdijfy34g9qmqhkn3r5kww7v644-bee-linux-amd64.drv
  /gnu/store/lgc6jnar1qha8dydhi5p9ni2jawp5wmd-module-import-compiled.drv
  /gnu/store/kjza0q20vy6jywfrzr4l5df5va8d5ia9-geth-binary-1.10.25.drv
  /gnu/store/f090qzxym89vp3r13fbqlh4ghbnfc7ls-geth-alltools-linux-amd64-1.10.25-69568c55.tar.gz.drv
  /gnu/store/kxjd60sx5hxygkz8vfj670f2c70xdjxd-module-import-compiled.drv
  /gnu/store/jkp7wrakjv4gqjn475kszaa425zgm62a-openethereum-binary-3.3.5.drv
  /gnu/store/d1cl9x0gy0bns9frqwgliq0z7604vian-openethereum-linux-v3.3.5.zip.drv

71.2 MB will be downloaded
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
guix substitute: warning: ci.guix.gnu.org: connection failed: No route to host
 qemu-minimal-7.1.0-doc  3.4MiB                                                                                                  876.6MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
guix substitute: error: connect*: No route to host
substitution of /gnu/store/7czrnkybr466v69wdj6i2sn6vpsg0ks3-cdrkit-libre-1.1.11 failed
guix system: error: corrupt input while restoring archive from #<closed: file 7f37458bd000>

the second time fails with another package:

$ ./pre-inst-env guix system --no-graphic vm ~/workspace/guix/guix-crypto/tests/swarm-tests.scm
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
guix system: warning: the following groups appear more than once: swarm-mainnet
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%guix substitute: warning: ci.guix.gnu.org: connection failed: No route to host
substitute: 
The following derivations will be built:
  /gnu/store/fkdmiwmvb6ar6n04hr470r3f5frgcbnc-bee-binary-1.8.1.drv
  /gnu/store/ksqiqmdijfy34g9qmqhkn3r5kww7v644-bee-linux-amd64.drv
  /gnu/store/lgc6jnar1qha8dydhi5p9ni2jawp5wmd-module-import-compiled.drv
  /gnu/store/kjza0q20vy6jywfrzr4l5df5va8d5ia9-geth-binary-1.10.25.drv
  /gnu/store/f090qzxym89vp3r13fbqlh4ghbnfc7ls-geth-alltools-linux-amd64-1.10.25-69568c55.tar.gz.drv
  /gnu/store/kxjd60sx5hxygkz8vfj670f2c70xdjxd-module-import-compiled.drv
  /gnu/store/jkp7wrakjv4gqjn475kszaa425zgm62a-openethereum-binary-3.3.5.drv
  /gnu/store/d1cl9x0gy0bns9frqwgliq0z7604vian-openethereum-linux-v3.3.5.zip.drv

71.2 MB will be downloaded
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...   0.0%
guix substitute: error: connect*: No route to host
substitution of /gnu/store/qvd2h5fd60h9p6yc161mndznf1785c9p-cpio-2.13 failed
guix system: error: corrupt input while restoring archive from #<closed: file 7fdc6f291000>