Subject: bug#57976: closed (Re: bug#57976: 29.0.50; Complex emoji have extra spacing)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 05:22:01 +0000

Your bug report

#57976: 29.0.50; Complex emoji have extra spacing

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57976: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57976
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57976: 29.0.50; Complex emoji have extra spacing
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:21:46 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 16:08:23 +0900,
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> > Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 11:00:15 +0900
> > From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > > I get these:
> > > 
> > >     (string-pixel-width "😶‍🌫️")
> > >     ;; => 136
> > > 
> > >     (string-pixel-width "🤣")
> > >     ;; => 16
> > 
> > Hmm, the fix for Bug#57066 needs to be undone for HarfBuzz 5.2.0.
> 
> Thanks, please install this on the emacs-28 branch.

Done.  Closing.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]

Subject: 29.0.50; Complex emoji have extra spacing
From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:17:40 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear maintainers,

With a recent build of Emacs and harfbuzz version 5.2.0 all the complex
emoji have extra spacing after them.  This space is present everywhere
the affected emoji is displayed.  One example is the interface of the
command 'emoji-search'.

Steps to reproduce the attached screenshot on 'emacs -Q':

- Type 'C-x 8 e s'
- Type "face" and then TAB twice to bring up the Completions' buffer.

All the best,
Protesilaos (or simply "Prot")

* * *

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-09-21 built on kronos
Repository revision: 1231a601ebe1fd9fe454c504dbeb9267440242e7
Repository branch: makepkg
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
 --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk --with-sound=no --without-gpm
 --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK
PNG RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com