Subject: bug#57976: 29.0.50; Complex emoji have extra spacing

From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:17:40 +0300

Dear maintainers,

With a recent build of Emacs and harfbuzz version 5.2.0 all the complex
emoji have extra spacing after them.  This space is present everywhere
the affected emoji is displayed.  One example is the interface of the
command 'emoji-search'.

Steps to reproduce the attached screenshot on 'emacs -Q':

- Type 'C-x 8 e s'
- Type "face" and then TAB twice to bring up the Completions' buffer.

All the best,
Protesilaos (or simply "Prot")

* * *

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-09-21 built on kronos
Repository revision: 1231a601ebe1fd9fe454c504dbeb9267440242e7
Repository branch: makepkg
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
 --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk --with-sound=no --without-gpm
 --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK
PNG RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com