Subject: 2022-08-30; Enhancing help facility for function doc string

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 18:25:44 +0900

This is a wishlist for record rather than a bug report. See
<URL:https://lists.gnu.org/r/auctex-devel/2022-09/msg00046.html> for the
background.

When a Elisp function A has :override advice B, help facility (C-h f)
displays doc string A, not B. It only indicates
This function has :override advice: THE-NAME-OF-B
modestly.

This is inconvenient, especially when A is a (major or minor) mode
function and the user typed C-h m in that mode buffer.

It would be worth considering to enhance the help facility to display
doc string of B instead when A is overrided by advice.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-freebsd13.1, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-09-15
Package: 2022-08-30

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2022-08-30"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("/usr/local/var/auctex"
		  "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/style"
		  "/home/keita/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
		  "/home/keita/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save nil
 TeX-parse-self t
 TeX-master nil
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
		     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML"
		     "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) --html %t"
		     TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
		    ("AmSTeX"
		     "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt"
		     "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
		     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "%(bibtex) %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
		      texinfo-mode context-mode)
		     :help "Run BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %(output-dir) %s" TeX-run-Biber nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
		      texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run Biber")
		    ("Texindex" "texindex %s.??" TeX-run-command nil
		     (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texindex")
		    ("Texi2dvi" "%(PDF)texi2dvi %t" TeX-run-command nil
		     (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texi2dvi or Texi2pdf")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
		     "Run Viewer")
		    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help
		     "View the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
		      texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
		      texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
		    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx -o %(O?pdf) %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
		      texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
		    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
		      texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
		    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(d-dir) %s" TeX-run-command
		     nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
		      texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
		    ("Index" "%(makeindex) %s" TeX-run-index nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
		      texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run makeindex to create index file")
		    ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
		      texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run upmendex to create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode
		      texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
		     :help "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil
		     t :help "Spell-check the document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help
		     "Run an arbitrary command")
		    )
 )