Subject: bug#57974: 2022-08-30; Enhancing help facility for function doc string

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 17:10:38 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't have a strong opinion either.  I think the issue has more to do
> about how to implement it (the info about advice is provided via the
> same mechanism used for all kinds of other auxiliary info and is not
> designed to distinguish those things that are more or less important,
> it has a very limited flexibility right now).

Today, I think the display is something along the lines of:

---
func-A is a Lisp function in /tmp/foo.el.

(func-A)

doc string of A

This function has :after advice: func-D.
This function has :before advice: func-C.
This function has :override advice: func-B.
---

Moving the :override line to the start would be easy enough, but should
perhaps also be rephrased to something like:

---
This function has :override advice: func-B, so func-A isn't run at all,
and the documentation below is possibly irrelevant.  See the
documentation to func-B instead.
---