Subject: bug#57969: 29.0.50; `device-class' errors when NAME is nil

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:15:19 +0530

According to the docstring of `device-class', nil is a valid value for
the NAME argument however it errors out since `x-device-class' uses
`downcase' without checking if NAME is non-nil.  Backtrace is below,

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p nil)
  downcase(nil)
  (let ((downcased-name (downcase name))) (cond ((string-match-p "XTEST" name) 'test) ((string= "Virtual core pointer" name) 'core-pointer) ((string= "Virtual core keyboard" name) 'core-keyboard) ((string-match-p "eraser" downcased-name) 'eraser) ((string-match-p " pad" downcased-name) 'pad) ((or (or (string-match-p "wacom" downcased-name) (string-match-p "pen" downcased-name)) (string-match-p "stylus" downcased-name)) 'pen) ((or (string-prefix-p "xwayland-touch:" name) (string-match-p "touchscreen" downcased-name)) 'touchscreen) ((or (string-match-p "trackpoint" downcased-name) (string-match-p "stick" downcased-name)) 'trackpoint) ((or (string-match-p "mouse" downcased-name) (string-match-p "optical" downcased-name) (string-match-p "pointer" downcased-name)) 'mouse) ((string-match-p "cursor" downcased-name) 'puck) ((or (string-match-p "keyboard" downcased-name) (string= name "USB USB Keykoard")) 'keyboard) ((string-match-p "button" downcased-name) 'power-button) ((string-match-p "touchpad" downcased-name) 'touchpad) ((or (string-match-p "midi" downcased-name) (string-match-p "piano" downcased-name)) 'piano) ((or (string-match-p "wskbd" downcased-name) (and (string-match-p "/dev" downcased-name) (string-match-p "kbd" downcased-name))) 'keyboard)))
  x-device-class(nil)
  device-class(#<frame *unsent mail to [email-masked]* emacs@astatine 0x562ae5daf070> nil)
  eval((device-class last-event-frame nil) nil)
  elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  eros-eval-last-sexp(nil)
  funcall-interactively(eros-eval-last-sexp nil)
  call-interactively(eros-eval-last-sexp nil nil)
  command-execute(eros-eval-last-sexp)

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 18, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2022-09-20 built on astatine
Repository revision: cd2168cd131852279a7d9257c7dff45224c9d6a9
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-sound=alsa --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-json
 --without-xaw3d --without-gconf --without-libsystemd'
Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB
Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  eros-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  acme-tag-minor-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  use-hard-newlines: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  undelete-frame-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/faceup/faceup hides /home/viz/lib/ports/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/faceup

Features:
(shadow ecomplete emacsbug inspector bug-reference image-crop
org-duration writegood-mode org-agenda pulse xref misc shortdoc cl-print
help-fns radix-tree dictionary dictionary-connection cal-islam holidays
holiday-loaddefs mule-util cal-move cus-start pixel-scroll cua-base
gnus-fun qp sh-script smie files-x gnus-cite flow-fill mm-archive
mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg sort gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nnfolder
nnmaildir nnagent nnml nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache notifications dabbrev shr-color color
textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping uni-confusable textsec-check
ucs-normalize executable network-stream url-http url-gw nsm url-cache
url-auth flyspell ispell org-pdftools org-noter image-file
image-converter org-element avl-tree generator recentf tree-widget
vc-backup log-view pcvs-util vc diff vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher
pdf-sync pdf-annot facemenu pdf-outline pdf-links ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
ob-shell ob-racket async ob-async cdlatex texmathp org-attach org-id
org-refile ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range
mm-util mail-prsvr ol-docview doc-view ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi org-tempo tempo ol-man org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 ol
org-keys oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs pdf-history icomplete shell
pcomplete misearch multi-isearch dired-aux cursor-sensor face-remap
server paredit edmacro kmacro eros time-date checkdoc lisp-mnt
flymake-proc flymake project warnings wordel-autoloads sokoban-autoloads
ement-autoloads svg-lib-autoloads taxy-magit-section-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads taxy-autoloads plz-autoloads
nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads kv-autoloads transmission-autoloads
lua-mode-autoloads nix-mode-autoloads gnuplot-autoloads
racket-mode-autoloads pos-tip-autoloads faceup-autoloads eros-autoloads
flymake-shellcheck-autoloads writegood-mode-autoloads
siege-mode-autoloads paredit-autoloads puni-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads filladapt-autoloads compose scroll-other-window
org-pdftools-autoloads org-noter-autoloads change-env-autoloads
math-delimiters-autoloads doct-autoloads ob-async-autoloads
async-autoloads emacs-ob-racket-autoloads valign-autoloads
cdlatex-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs tablist advice tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet
pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source eieio eieio-core json map byte-opt url-vars compile comint
osc ansi-color cus-edit edebug debug backtrace find-func icons wid-edit
pdf-view password-cache jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
pdf-macs image-mode wallpaper xdg dired-x dired dired-loaddefs exif
pdf-tools-autoloads tablist-autoloads mb-depth repeat
visual-fill-autoloads olivetti-autoloads time format-spec battery dbus
filenotify xml dom tamil99 quail disp-table lacarte-autoloads winner
ring acme-tag shell-command+ thingatpt acme-tag-autoloads
shell-command-plus-autoloads delsel easy-mmode xt-mouse cus-load
avy-autoloads finder-inf vc-backup-autoloads compat-autoloads icalendar
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs rx filecache
imenu-xref-autoloads derived chemtable-autoloads molar-mass-autoloads
saveplace-pdf-view saveplace bookmark text-property-search pp
saveplace-pdf-view-autoloads pcase inspector-autoloads xr-autoloads
straight-autoloads cl-seq info cl-extra help-mode straight subr-x
cl-macs gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv vz-nh-theme
vz-options-theme rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1052567 238520) (symbols ?0 38771 216) (strings 32 220642 28443) (string-bytes 1 163267092) (vectors 16 115417) (vector-slots 8 2240210 243887) (floats 8 61660 2979) (intervals ?8 36301 5737) (buffers 1000 126))