Subject: Re: bug#57963: [PATCH 0/1] Support user's fontconfig.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 17:52:01 +0200

Hi,

Taiju HIGASHI <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm not very knowledgeable about G-Expressions, so I don't understand
> much of what you replied. (I will study it!).

I didn’t mention gexps.  :-)

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
> My motivation for writing this patch is that I wanted to continue to use
> the settings in the following file after switching to Guix Home.
>
> https://git.sr.ht/~taiju/taix/tree/31a37c231ebba60e38f7fa9cfe1c7a5d7362d021/item/dotfiles/fontconfig/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
>
> Honestly, I don't know why it is so complicated, but I refered it from
> the following ArchWiki content.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Font_configuration/Examples#Japanese
>
> Therefore, just being able to set font aliasing is unfortunately not
> enough to satisfy my use case.

Oh I see.  Do you need every single bit from the ‘fonts.conf’ file
above?

Anyway, it does look like your v2 is the way to go, with the obvious
caveat that using it is tricky: one needs to know about fontconfig’s
config file format and about sxml.

Maybe we can go with v2 for now (it provides a useful “escape hatch”)
but prepare for more conventional configuration bindings?

Thanks,
Ludo’.