Subject: [bug#57963] [PATCH v5 2/2] home: services: Support user's fontconfig configuration.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 18:28:58 +0200

Hi,

Taiju HIGASHI <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>>> Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>>
>>>> If serialization would support G-exps, we could write
>>>>
>>>> (list #~"RAW_XML_HERE")
>>>
>>> There’s a one-to-one lossless mapping between XML and SXML, so I don’t
>>> think it makes sense to support XML-in-strings when we have SXML.
>>>
>>> The only thing it would give us, as I see it, is the ability to generate
>>> syntactically-invalid XML.  Maybe we can live without it?  :-)
>>
>> Of course we can :), but we won't be able:
>>
>> 1. To take already existing xml config and use it without rewriting.
>
> I find it surprisingly important to be able to simply copy and paste
> settings without having to rewrite existing settings or those listed on
> a web page somewhere.  I know we can easily convert from XML to SXML,
> but those unfamiliar with SXML may find it a bothering task.

OK, that makes sense.

But then, let’s not allow users to intersperse XML-in-strings in the
middle of XML.  It should be either a user-provided file/string or the
generated config, but not a mixture of both; that’d be a recipe for
confusion.

How about this: the service takes either a <fontconfig-configuration>
record or a file-like object?

(We can even have a “gexp compiler” for <fontconfig-configuration> to
make that transparent.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.