Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 1/2] home-services: Add base.

From: Taiju HIGASHI <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 08:27:13 +0900

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Sonntag, dem 02.10.2022 um 22:45 +0900 schrieb Taiju HIGASHI:
>> > Like Liliana wrote, it may be that more of these can be moved from
>> > “essential” to “base”, we can keep that for a later patch.
>>
>> Please let us address this in a later patch.
>>
>> I would like to discuss something with you.
>> I'm aware that this patch is a breaking change. We are aware that if
>> we do not add %base-home-services to the existing home configuration,
>> fontconfig will change.  I'm concerned about how the community will
>> react to this.
> As long as the out-of-the-box behaviour stays the same, the community
> has no reason to complain.  For what it's worth, you could also leave
> fontconfig as an essential service, but then you get another field to
> configure.
>
> As far as I see, essential services are also a thing on the system
> side, but the home and system variants have a somewhat different feel
> to them.  The fontconfig-service is not actually essential, the profile
> service type arguably isn't either (it acts as yet another profile and
> simultaneously fails to satisfy the multi-profile use-case; more on
> that elsewhere), the xdg-base-directories one notably violates the XDG
> Base Directories specification, and so on.

I was relieved to hear that.

> I'd get Andrew's approval before moving services, but I'd move them in
> one go rather than bit by bit.

Noted. I'll wait for his reply.

Cheers,
-- 
Taiju