Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 1/2] home-services: Add base.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 16:59:26 +0200

Am Sonntag, dem 02.10.2022 um 22:45 +0900 schrieb Taiju HIGASHI:
> > Like Liliana wrote, it may be that more of these can be moved from
> > “essential” to “base”, we can keep that for a later patch.
> 
> Please let us address this in a later patch.
> 
> I would like to discuss something with you.
> I'm aware that this patch is a breaking change. We are aware that if
> we do not add %base-home-services to the existing home configuration,
> fontconfig will change.  I'm concerned about how the community will
> react to this.
As long as the out-of-the-box behaviour stays the same, the community
has no reason to complain.  For what it's worth, you could also leave
fontconfig as an essential service, but then you get another field to
configure.

As far as I see, essential services are also a thing on the system
side, but the home and system variants have a somewhat different feel
to them.  The fontconfig-service is not actually essential, the profile
service type arguably isn't either (it acts as yet another profile and
simultaneously fails to satisfy the multi-profile use-case; more on
that elsewhere), the xdg-base-directories one notably violates the XDG
Base Directories specification, and so on.

I'd get Andrew's approval before moving services, but I'd move them in
one go rather than bit by bit.

Cheers