Subject: bug#57962: 29.0.50; Odd font choices

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 15:40:49 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> AFAIK, an average browser comes with a fixed system-dependent list of
> fonts it uses for its various display parts, and doesn't allow users
> any freedom in determining typefaces of various display parts, except
> by replacing the fixed list of fonts by another fixed list.  There's
> AFAIK nothing even close to Emacs's fontsets and faces.
>
> So the job of an average browser is much easier, and the freedom of
> its users is much smaller.  IOW, we are trying to solve a much harder
> problem.

You can have arbitrary fonts in web browsers too, but it's true that
they are generally much less customizable (for the user) than Emacs.

They also usually don't have a block cursor to edit it all with, so they
get away with things that we might consider imperfections, such as
uneven line heights.

We might be veering off too far from the issue at hand though.
Sorry about that.