Subject: bug#57962: 29.0.50; Odd font choices

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 14:18:15 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> It depends on whether we want the fixed-pitch face to look differently
> from the default face, even when the default face uses a monospaced
> font.  I always thought that fixed-pitch face was supposed to look
> differently.

We haven't really used the fixed-pitch face for much before, but we're
now using it for the face used when displaying key bindings, so it's
shown all over the place in Emacs 29.  

>> Is there some easy way to achieve this, by any chance?
>
> Did you try using font-spec with (:spacing 'mono) ?

In the fixed-pitch defface?  It's already got mono spacing, so I'm not
sure what that would achieve?  If this is what you meant, it has no
effect:

(defface fixed-pitch
  '((t :family "Monospace" :spacing mono))
  "The basic fixed-pitch face."
  :group 'basic-faces)